Friday 21 October 2011

Specular Map


So it is time to create some natural shine and depth by creating a specular map to accompany both the skin colour and bump maps already assigned to the model.

This I created again, following the tutorial videos, which can be found here http://cg-india.com/tutorials/3dsmax_tutorials_organic_modeling.html This section is incidentally the final video that I would follow for this project.

Once again in Photoshop, as with the bump map, I copied the bump map layer and then I adjusted the levels of the image so that it was very dark, almost black. I created a new layer and painted in areas that would have higher specular values. Using lighten and the paint brush tool with a low opacity I drew/shaded areas that would be likely to be more naturally greasy or naturally shiny such as the chin, forehead, cheeks and eyes.


Using the blur filter on this image I manipulated the image using Gaussian blur, blending to get a smoother transition from the black areas to the lighter areas.


Final specular map




Here is the effect after being placed into the scene



I went into 3DS Max to check the allocation of my specular highlights. I found them a little harsh as you can see in particular in the close up view above. I returned to the specular map and toned down the transitions once again to create a more even tone. I also added the sandstone texturizer to add more detail to the model, especially when viewing up close.






This still looks a little shiny but I am happy enough for now, and may head back to manipulate this further if I feel it draws away from the final model. Luckily it is very simple to manipulate all three maps in Photoshop at any section of the project if required.

At this point I have come to the end of the tutorial videos. I could stop here as I have a decent model of my head although with no eyes or hair it feels dead. I therefore intend to create some eyes and use the hair and fur modifier in 3DS Max to create a feel of my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment